Clean Technologies Research Scientist/Engineer
Ballard's Research team has a new position available for a Research Scientist/Engineer at our Burnaby location in our Clean Technologies group. Reporting jointly to the Director of Technology Collaborations and the Director of Research, this role is responsible to support the analysis of clean energy and fuel cell technological industries. The position will focus on fuel cell and other clean energy technologies, including gathering and analysing information to assess technology capabilities. Strong skills are expected in sourcing technical data and achieving clarity of complex information with the ability to communicate effectively. This position will work closely within a small team and will interact with various cross-functional technical and commercial teams. The ideal candidate will bring effective literature and information search capabilities, analytical capabilities, strong personal initiative, in-depth clean energy technologies knowledge, the ability to learn quickly, a good working knowledge of PEM fuel cells, and a collaborative approach.
Knowledge and understanding of PEM FC's from the FC membrane electrode assembly (MEA) level to the system level, as well as a broader understanding of the clean energy industry, would be an asset.
- Play central role in gathering knowledge, and developing analyses and recommendations on alternative clean energy technologies
- Supporting analyses of the PEM fuel cell industry status and future directions
- Provide input to Ballard strategic analysis
- May run or participate in small research projects
- Provide learnings from alternative technologies analysis to Ballard innovation activities
- Support and interact with other research, product development, prototyping and advanced manufacturing, and commercial teams as required
- Work effectively within a research team of scientists and engineers to accomplish technical objectives
- Degree in relevant Engineering field, Electrochemistry, or Chemistry
- Post-graduate degree or 3-5 years of successful relevant experience
- Excellent technical capabilities with a broad knowledge of clean energy technology and a good working knowledge of PEM fuel cells
- Broad understanding of clean energy industry product applications and requirements
- Track record of high performance
- Resourceful, creative, and able to find innovative ways to achieve results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to all levels of the organization
- Strong organization, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently
- Demonstrated commitment and champion of safety
Listen & Deliver | Quality. Always. | Inspire Excellent | Row Together | Own It
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
Manufacturing and Production