Ballard's Research team has a new position available for a Senior or Principal Clean Energy Research Scientist/Engineer at our Burnaby location. Reporting jointly to the Director of Technology Collaborations and the Director of Research, this role is responsible to support the development of new clean energy technology directions. The position will develop strategic analyses, explore and develop understanding, and provide input and recommendations on clean energy technologies, with a focus on PEM electrolysis. Strong skills are expected in sourcing technical data and achieving clarity of complex information with the ability to communicate effectively. This position will work closely with various cross-functional technical and commercial teams. The ideal candidate will bring analytical capabilities, strong personal initiative, in-depth electrochemical technologies knowledge, a strategic disposition, and a collaborative approach.
The successful candidate will bring significant knowledge of technologies with broad commonality to proton exchange membrane fuel cells, with a focus on electrolysers and electrochemical devices, such as alternative fuel cells, and flow battery technologies. Knowledge must include an understanding at the membrane electrode assembly (MEA) level, including state-of-the-art and next generation designs and future targets, and familiarity with relevant manufacturing processes. Additional knowledge of cell/stack designs and system operation is an asset.
- Play central role in gathering knowledge, and developing analyses and recommendations on electrolysis and alternative electrochemical clean energy technologies with strong synergies to PEM fuel cell technologies and manufacturing methods
- Provide input to Ballard strategic analysis
- May run small research projects
- Provide learnings from alternative technologies analysis to Ballard innovation activities
- Support and interact with other research, product development, prototyping and advanced manufacturing, and commercial teams as required
- Act as a resource for resolution of unique or complex business problems
- Act as a role model for the Ballard cultural values
- Degree in relevant Engineering field, Electrochemistry, or Chemistry
- Minimum 5 years of proven successful relevant experience
- Excellent technical capabilities with an in-depth knowledge of electrochemical clean energy technology
- Knowledge of and experience in related manufacturing methods are an asset
- Broad understanding of clean energy electrochemical technology product applications and requirements
- Track record of high performance
- Resourceful, creative, and able to find innovative ways to achieve results
- Good project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to all levels of the organization
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently
- Demonstrated commitment and champion of safety
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
Management and Executive