Ballard's Product Development Services Department requires a Certification Engineer
, responsible for providing product certification support for Ballard's fuel cell products. The engineer will use various industry standards to advise product developers on the regulatory requirements that are applicable to a given design, then help document and manage their compliance. The engineer will also coordinate visits and manage relationships with the external agencies and regulators. In addition, the candidate is expected to provide training for staff and participate in relevant standards setting activities. Key Responsibilities:
- Product Certification: Work with program teams to identify the standards that are applicable to a given design in various international geographic regions.
- Responsible for development of Certification Plans and coordination of certification activities to ensure compliance with all applicable product regulatory and standards requirements.
- Prepare and submit certification plans & documents to external agencies and regulators.
- Assure all Type Design Data is collected, filed and appropriately approved for inclusion in the final data submittal package.
- Coordinate certification activities with external agencies and regulators and all internal departments.
- Monitor schedule to meet due dates within budget constraints.
- Coordinate designee internal & external component testing activities to meet certification requirements.
- Design Guides. Document the requirements from the standards that are applicable to Ballard's fuel cell products. These guides will become key internal documents that will require periodic updating and maintenance to ensure they are consistent with the most current standards.
- Product Compliance: Develop processes that will help program teams evaluate and document their designs against the requirements in the applicable standards.
- Agency Liaison: Coordinate visits and manage certification agency contracts, ensuring the most efficient use of agency time across different programs. Some interaction with regulators at customer sites may also be required.
- Standards Development: Identify changes that are needed to improve the industry standards, and then prepare change submissions as appropriate.
- Training: Develop and deliver training packages to internal staff that will help simplify the product certification process and reduce errors.
- Quality: Identify ways that industry standards and compliance can help improve quality assurance, and then help with the implementation of those changes.
- Reliability and Product Safety: Work with, and support, the reliability and the product safety teams in their activities. Look for ways to integrate with these functions to the extent it improves product design efficiency and effectiveness.
- A university degree in Applied Science or Engineering
- 7+ years of directly related experience in product development or directly related fields
- Experience with UL, CSA, REACH Compliance, IEC and ANSI/CSA America FC1, IMDS, would be an advantage
- Familiar with and having an ability to use configuration management and project management tools.
- Eligibility for certification as a Professional Engineer, through APEGBC
- Experience in multidisciplinary product development and technology development settings desirable
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Strong knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Project and PowerPoint
Ballard values diversity in the workplace and is committed to Employment Equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates.