Infrastructure Services is responsible for providing cost-effective management and supply of IT operations to core government ministries, program managers and government employees. Information Technology Services is also responsible for understanding the business objectives, future directions and unique requirements of the programs it supports.
Infrastructure Services provides services to 19 core government ministries, several Crown corporations and broader public sector organizations, and over 30,000 government employees. In support of government objectives to lower costs and improve service delivery, these clients have formed a partnership with Information Technology Services to receive reliable and cost-effective services for the benefit of the citizens and businesses they serve across British Columbia.
The Service Desk Analyst provides front line information technology support, problem resolution services and security administration to clients and to HP Advanced Solutions employees for data, applications and resources on various platforms. The Service Desk Analyst works with a team and communicates with iStore preparers and technical staff in the ministries/BPS, Client Business Analysts, Finance & Business Services, IT vendors etc.
Provides centralized and remote technical services (hardware, software, network and application support):
- Provides Incident Management support based on the ITIL framework through Service Manager process and procedures; providing overall ownership of the clients incident from submission to resolution;
- Diagnoses and resolves hardware, software, operating system, network and application problems;
- Assigns appropriate severity level to problems, resolves or escalates to appropriate group for resolution;
- Interprets, diagnoses and resolves majority of problems including desk top infrastructure, corporate applications, mainframe systems access, ID resets, and answers questions on use of large variety of applications;
- Receives telephone, e-mail, written and in-person client problem reports/inquiries regarding a wide variety of multi-environment/platform computer resources (i.e. Mainframe, Unix, Windows, XP) including hardware/software problems, application and network related issues;
- Provides assistance to client site contacts;
- Uses a ticket tracking system, Service Manager to record, track and maintain issues until resolution;
- Works with customers under minimal supervision;
- Develops/implements and updates documentation as required for non-standard solutions and/or workarounds to provide short term problem resolution affecting PC and network operations;
- Escalates, tracks and follows up on unresolved problems with application support staff, vendors or system specialists;
- Translates information between systems;
- Uses multiple service support tools to retrieve information, implement first point of contact fixes, promote automation and identify incident impacts;
- Analyzes, documents and resolves multi platform and application security requests and problems;
- Implements security access requests for in house custom applications;
- Manages FIN and HPAS mailboxes, distribution lists, personal folders, and calendars;
- Works with e-mail administrators to coordinate e-mail;
- Audits, monitors and maintains data, services, and resource access; and
- Maintains and reviews security logs and reports to ensure that access is appropriate and current for data, services and resources.
Reviews and acquires quotes; liaises with vendors; procures and/or maintains licenses and agreements; and receives, enters, and assigns service requests by:
- Maintains a general understanding of hardware and software requirements for all HPAS services;
- Reviews and prepares updates for maintenance agreements and warranties for hardware and software used by the client and HPAS;
- Acquires quotes from vendors by following published corporate standards and guidelines;
- Makes routine purchases of hardware and software from known vendors;
- Works with senior technical staff to quote and purchase non standard hardware and software for specialized projects;
- Records customer requests with the appropriate level of detail and assigning the activity to the appropriate resource; and
- Responds to customer queries on existing service requests.
Request Management duties (ordering of hardware, software, services and miscellaneous items):
- Service Desk Mailbox triage and assignment of mailbox items;
- Request creation and dispatch;
- Major iStore order entry, processing, shipping and completion (Servers VAMP/NON, Storage, Additional Services); and
- SOI hosting WSSMT queue (status, cancellations, billings).
Provides user client support services:
- Advises user clients of system down times, procedural changes;
- Liaises between clients and second level support groups to provide updates, actions or escalations and confirmation of resolution on incidents and requests;
- Provides Request management information and processing (Installs, Moves, Adds, and Changes) for external clients and HP Advanced Solutions staff; and
- Provides direction to clients with regard to appropriate process for submitting requests.
Performs other related duties:
- Follows up with the business clients to ensure completion of all aspects of Incident and Request Management, escalating or closing calls in call tracking system;
- Participates, as required, on special information technology project teams and in post-implementation reviews;
- Delivers training, remotely and in person, to user clients concerning office automation and custom applications;
- Updates and maintains support analyst tools;
- Checks, stops and starts printers and queues;
- Contributes to, edits and maintains knowledge articles;
- Develops and maintains procedural documentation;
- Participates in internal service desk initiatives as required;
- Involved in relevant IT training initiatives consistent with remaining current in the Service Desk environment and providing critical and efficient first point of contact resolution for end clients; and
- Involved in relevant business training initiatives consistent with remaining current in business acumen of clients and internal second level support teams.
Education and Experience
- A degree in IT; or a diploma in IT plus one year of related experience; or a certificate, program completion, or some course work, and 2 years of related experience or 3 years of related experience.
- Related experience includes providing customer support services in a fast paced environment or helping end users to use and understand computer hardware and software.
- Equivalent combinations of education, training and experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of government standard suite of products; basic computer set-up and troubleshooting; basic principles of best security practices;
- Awareness of ITIL framework;
- The ability to build and maintain positive working relationships; to work collaboratively within a team and to provide excellence in customer service;
- Be able to work in a fast paced environment, while maintaining a professional calm manner;
- The ability to communicate professionally and effectively with clients, other team members, supervisors, managers and business consultants both verbally and in writing, clearly, logically, concisely, effectively and efficiently while maintaining professionalism and confidentiality;
- The ability to handle issues in a sensitive tactful way with regard to political considerations;
- The ability to set priorities to manage long term and short term goals to achieve the greatest return;
- The ability to work on several projects with multiple clients concurrently;
- The ability to learn new and rapidly changing technologies and maintain currency on essential tools;
- The ability to work co-operatively and independently in a multi-team environment with minimum direction;
- Knowledge of Windows NTFS permissions, data security issues, and local area network topology;
- Strong customer service skills, utilizing tact/diplomacy at all times;
- Service and solution-oriented and effective in resolving conflict;
- The ability to place customers as a top priority striving to provide helpful and value-added services;
- Proven ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing, by providing and obtaining information effectively, correctly, and in a concise and timely manner, at a level and in a format consistent with the audience;
- Identify and think through problems with a view to a successful resolution;
- Work individually and as part of a team to accomplish work assignments;
- Work under pressure, with competing tasks while meeting deadlines;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated problem determination, troubleshooting, and resolution skills;
- Desire to learn while working with complex systems and highly specialized system operations involving multiple platforms and locations; and
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs and equipment related to job functions.
All HPAS employees are required to display the following competencies:
- Building Effective Teams
- Priority Setting
- Decision Quality
- Business Acumen
- Customer Focus
- Integrity and Trust
- Ethics and Values
- Motivating Others
- Drive for Results