Recognized for its diversity, dedication to inclusion, and strong partnerships with the community, the Richmond School District is among one of the largest districts in British Columbia with some of the highest graduation rates in the province. With a long history of providing high quality experiences for students, the Richmond School District strives to be “The Best Place to Learn and Lead.”
As an employer, we provide comprehensive growth, learning and engagement opportunities to our committed professionals across the district. We are currently looking for a full-time, permanent Carpenter to join our Facilities Services department to perform millwork, maintenance alternation and construction at the journeyperson level across the district’s 53 facilities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Framing and construction structures for the installation and maintenance of new construction and renovation projects on existing district facilities.
• Performs structural and non-structural framing work such as walls, window frames, doorframes, and ceilings.
• Building, repairing, and installing a variety of millwork such as cabinets, counters, shelving units and other finishing work for offices and classrooms.
• Designing, reading, and interpreting plans, drawings and specifications of equipment and furnishings.
• Providing technical expertise to district staff as required.
• Responding to carpentry emergencies throughout the district such as roof leaks, broken windows, and vandalism.
• Operating a district vehicle and maintaining the vehicles carpentry equipment and materials inventory as necessary.
• Performs other job-related duties of comparable importance, difficulty and responsibility as required.
Grade 12 or equivalent plus a BC or Interprovincial Certificate of Apprenticeship in Carpentry or equivalent apprenticeship training and a BC or Interprovincial Certificate of Qualification in Carpentry (T.Q.) plus
• Two (2) years’ experience at a Journeyperson level in commercial or institutional carpentry, including renovation, repair and finishing work.
• Thorough knowledge of current techniques, methods, procedures, regulations, standards, and materials applicable to the carpentry trade.
• Competency in the use and care of tools and equipment common to the trade.
• Ability to organize workload, work under periodic pressure and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
• Ability to perform physical activities such as lifting, pushing, pulling, and moving heavy materials, equipment, and supplies.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
Interested applicants MUST provide proof of TQ/Red Seal qualifications to be considered.
This is a unionized position that offers a 40-hour work week with an hourly wage rate of $36.15, plus a liberal benefit package including Municipal Pension, health, vacation, and sick benefits. Please note the hourly wage will be increasing as of July 1, 2023.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online on Make a Future at https://bit.ly/3IFFssS.
Richmond School District is committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Our ability to provide the best education for our student population relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however ONLY those being considered for interviews will be contacted.
For more information about Richmond School District 38, please visit www.makeafuture.ca/richmond or our website at www.sd38.bc.ca.