Cabinet Maker / Benchman / Production Team: Harvey 2540
Reports to: Shop Forman, Production Manager / Purchaser, Owners
The Cabinet Maker / Benchman creates and constructs a variety of Millwork items including Cabinetry, Countertops, Wall Protection, Bulkheads, Trellis’ and other Architectural Millwork items.
It is expected that the Cabinet Maker / Benchman will be able to read Shop Drawings and follow verbal instruction on Construction Methods, Materials, and Tools.
The purpose of this position is to construct well-built products that follow Shop Drawings and Instructions, and to work as a team to complete goals and overcome obstacles.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Cabinet Maker / Benchman performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following:
Reviewing the Scope of work to be completed:
- Review Shop and/or Architectural drawings with Shop Foremen to ensure the scope of work being completed is understood.
- Work independently or with the Production Team / Apprentices / Finishing / Project Managers to complete Projects.
- Identify any tools, equipment or materials that will be needed and report any shortages or anomalies to Management.
Millwork Construction / Creation:
- Select correct Millwork Materials for the assigned project.
- Lift / Carry Millwork Items, Materials, and Tools within the Shop.
- Request help in lifting / carrying items more than 50lbs or items that are awkward or uncomfortable to lift / carry alone.
- Build / Create Millwork items as outlined in Shop Drawings and/or direct by Management.
- Use Construction / Build methods consistent with companies Standards and with AWMAC BC Standards in mind.
- If uncertain, please talk to the Shop Foreman or Production Team for support.
- Use of Power tools and equipment, including Edge-bander, Saws, Routers, Drills, and Sanders etc.
- Wipe down and Inspect assembled Millwork Items to ensure they meet specified standards and are free from defect or error.
- Practice good housekeeping and ensure a safe and non-cluttered workspace.
- Participate in and demonstrate an understanding of safety principles and practices; follow all safety policies and procedures to support a safe working environment, including the safe operation of machines and equipment.
- Comply with all policies and procedures, as well as any legislative requirements.
- Work under time constraints to meet specific timelines.
- Provide excellent interpersonal communications with Team Members and Managers.
- As needed, a Cabinet Maker may be requested to complete some wood finishing including Cleaning Millwork Items, Painting / Varnishing items.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Considerable experience and knowledge of Cabinet Making with an understanding of how items should come together.
- Ability to Read and Understand Construction Drawings.
- Strong Problem Solving with a Solution-Based Approach to issues.
- Ability to Communicate Effectively and Positively.
- Ability to Perform at an Excellent Level, even under pressure.
- Ability to Manage Multiple Projects efficiently and effectively (organized and detail oriented).
- Flexibility: willingness and enthusiasm to try new ways of doing things, or to help others if there is a need for it.
The Cabinet Maker / Benchman should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Ethical Behaviour: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices; ensure that own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with companie’s values.
- Effective Communication: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thoroughly, and in a timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Fostering Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Leading: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of companie’s Production Team.
- Making Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the company.
- Organization and Planning: Set priorities, develop a schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details/data/information/activities.
- Solving Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Asking for help when it’s needed: Don’t be afraid to ask for help if there is an issue or situation that you need advice or help with.
Required Education and Experience:
- 5 years plus of Cabinet Making / Millwork Construction, and/or Completion of Red Seal Joinery Program.
- Ability to read and write English, follow verbal instructions, and use simple math.
- A valid driver’s license and a good driving record appreciated.
- Licensed forklift truck operator would be an asset.
- 2 to 3 years of Millwork Installation would be an asset.
- Generally, Cabinet Makers / Benchmen work in-house under normal Woodworking Conditions (loud sounds/tools, around saws / blades, using grip strength to hold tools, and using equipment that have a level of vibration or force required to operate – as well as fumes or airborne particulate)
- Cabinet Makers / Benchmen work a standard work week but may be required to work some evenings, nights, and weekends as needed. Ability to help out when needed is greatly appreciated!
From time to time there may be extra or extraordinary duties asked of you.
This is a fulltime position
Hours of work are Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., 40 hours per week.
Alternate work schedules may be considered and approved by the Shop Foreman, and the Owners
Salary is open depending on experience
Benefits package after 3 months
Manufacturing and Production