Closing Date: June 11, 2023
Reporting to the Procurement Manager, the Buyer (temporary) is accountable for the procurement of materials, equipment, supplies, services as assigned, and expediting orders placed.
This role is in the welcoming community of Trail, situated in the beautiful West Kootenay region of southeastern British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips! Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone.
This position offers a compressed workweek with alternating Fridays off and comes with a competitive compensation and benefits package. Come experience what work life balance is all about! Responsibilities:
- Process to completion of all purchase orders for assigned commodities
- Obtain and analyze competitive quotations and make recommendations
- Analyze supplier proposals/cost drivers and challenge suppliers when inconsistencies exist.
- Process and manage warehouse inventory contracts
- Research and select vendors based upon value analysis; analyze vendor performance statistics and monitor market and economic trends
- Administer procurement for the Contract Management group utilizing knowledge of the Contractor Management System, Contract Service Agreements, Builders Lien Provisions, agreed upon rates, and Teck Operations' procedures and controls
- Interview supplier representatives; resolve problems pertaining to existing purchase orders and overall supply performance; obtain information on new commodities
- Supply updated purchasing information to the operating plants and warehouse; arrange expedited manufacturing/repair services when required
- Identify and analyze opportunities to reduce Teck's overall expenditures
- Understand and apply tax regulations as they pertain to the purchase of goods and services
- Understand transportation costs and shipment requirements to ensure goods arrive within the required time period and in the most cost-effective manner
- Successful completion of the Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) introductory courses
- Successful completion of a two year Business Administration Diploma or BBA Degree (Accounting/Finance major is preferred)
- Experience working with Purchasing/Warehousing modules of an ERP system.
- Mathematical, cost analysis and analytical skills
- Knowledge of Teck Metals Ltd. purchasing and warehouse procedures is preferred.
- Industrial buying and negotiation experience is an asset
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources Job Segment:
Coal Mining, Purchasing, Buyer, Supply Chain Manager, Mining, Operations, Finance
Construction, Mining and Trades