Position Title Building Service Worker Posting Number 01709SA Location New Westminster Campus Grade or Pay Level S - Pay Level 8 Salary Range $42,602 annually (with wage increments to a max of $46,885 annually). Salary and wage increments are in accordance to the Collective Agreement. Position Type Support Staff - Regular Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Regular Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Staff Start Date 12/09/2022 End Date Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift 0630-1430 Work Arrangements
This regular, full-time (35 hours per week) position is available starting December 9, 2022. Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday, 6:30 am - 2:30 pm. The position is located at the New Westminster campus.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Building Service Worker performs a variety of routine janitorial, courier, security, maintenance, mail and shipping/receiving duties. The Building Service Worker also performs room setups and moves, while providing exceptional client-centred service on a consistent basis to all stakeholder groups.Responsibilities
1. Room setups and moves. -arranges equipment and furniture for office reassignment and special events, and resets areas -coordinates event setup by communicating with internal and external groups to determine needs and appropriate setup; -advises manager of conflicts/problems.
2. Maintenance. -cleans, washes, sweeps, does wet and dry pick up, removes waste inside building; -removes snow, salts walks, and removes debris surrounding building; -assembles pre-cut carts, furniture, erects shelves etc.; -provides non trades support in construction, electrical and plumbing, advises manager when contract trades are required; -provides assistance for onsite contract trades; -provides minor repairs and installation of minor signage using glues, tape and basic hand tools; -reports equipment or areas requiring servicing and repairs including fire and security hazards to the Manager; -performs routine minor maintenance duties such as replacing light bulbs, general cleaning including classrooms and concourse, unplugging toilets and urinals.
3. Courier. -delivers and receives internal materials, such as copy paper, parcels, and equipment; -receives, delivers external materials, such as mail, parcels, and equipment including the use of the College vehicle.
4. Emergency response. -carries master key and communication radio; -expedites emergency evacuation and provides elevator lock out; -meets and directs emergency crews for efficient entrance/exit of building; -provides first response safety reinforcement, such as fire extinguisher deployment and security assistance.
5 .Performs other related duties. -reports safety hazards to manager; -eliminates safety hazards, such as pick up of chemical spills, (gas/oil antifreeze), provides safety barriers; -provides backup mail, receiver assistance; -checks protocol, changes flags.
6. Duties specific to David Lam. -acts as shipper and receiver for the campus including checking and verifying the conditions of goods as received, as well as processing and distributing the resulting paperwork; -receives, sorts and distributes campus mail; -coordinates the courier services for the campus, including keeping an ongoing list of pick-ups and deliveries; -occasionally picks up and delivers items on and off campus, including delivery of items from receiving and bookstore areas as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
1. A minimum of six months' work experience in a related field.
2. Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills including written and verbal fluency in the English language.
3. A demonstrated ability to: -interact effectively and tactfully with people of various backgrounds and cultures, including students, college employees and the broader community. -develop, establish and maintain good working relationships. -work as an effective team member. -use a wide variety of tools and equipment including power drills, power washers and wet/dry vacuum cleaners. -perform physical work related to routine janitorial duties and building maintenance . -read basic schematics for locating electrical outlets, related breakers and panels. -problem solve independently in order to resolve routine issues. -plan and organize work in order to meet deadlines. -show initiative in the performance of day to day duties, making good use of work time. -work independently with minimal supervision. -exercise sound judgment and maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
4. Hold a valid B.C. driver's license.
Link to Full Position Profile http://www.douglas.bc.ca/__shared/assets/Building_Service_Worker_FSS__200683963.pdf Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail Information
Open Date 11/22/2022 Close Date 11/28/2022 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online on the Douglas College Career Site www.douglascollegecareers.ca
. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling the position. All internal applications must be received by November 28, 2022.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/10158
Operations and Logistics