Position description:Summary: Big Sisters Program(rolling intake, apply anytime)
A Big Sister mentor provides a supportive mentoring relationshipsto female, transgender, and non-binary children and youth (our Little Sisters) whowho could benefit from the support and friendship of a mentorwhich contributes to their overall self-esteem.
The Big SistersprogrammatchesLittle Sisters (ages 7-17) with a volunteer (age 19 or older)in a one-to-one mentoring friendship. They spend 2-4 hours once a week for a minimum of a one year committment.
Our Little Sistersface challenges such as low self-esteem, social isolation, and a lack of enriching experiences as a result of challenging life circumstances such as poverty, family distress, abuse, or loss. A mentor can act as a reliable and caring friend who can be there to listen, have fun, and help navigatedifficult times.
A Big & Little Sister match gets together once a week to participate in fun low to no cost community based activities they both enjoy; such as crafts, going to a local park, sports, watching movies, and simply hanging out and spending time together.The program strives to do the following:
- Provide a role model and friend to a Little Sister (ages 7-17)
- Promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers
- Instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions
- Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- Above all,make a difference while having fun!
- Age 19 or older female, transgender, or non-binary individual
- Mature, stable, reliable, and respectful of others
- A Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Able to commit to spending 2-4 hours a week with your Little Sisterfor a minimum of 1 year(yes, occasional vacations and work travel are fine!)
- Interested in developing a positive friendship with a youth aged 7-17
- Exposure to fresh perspectives, ideas and approaches
- Development of yourpersonal leadership and coaching styles
- Share knowledge, which helps increase the Little Sisters sense of well-being
- Strengthens your interpersonal relationship skills
Career, Life Skills
Counselling, Social Services (Other)
Social (Other) Role is suitable for:
AdultHow to apply:
Alice WilcoxContact phone:
604-873-4525 x300Contact e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org Volunteer Centre:
Vancouver Cause Tags:
Family & Children
Health, Social Services
Community and Social Services