Benefits Reconciliation Clerk, Payroll
BC Clinical & Support Services
HSSBC Willingdon, Burnaby
Under general supervision and in accordance with established procedures, timeframes and various collective agreements, the Benefits Reconciliation Clerk performs a variety of payroll duties such as the reconciliation of benefits and general deductions to provider statements, ensuring timely remittance of premiums and deductions, maintaining employees records on benefit payments, keying deduction and benefits adjustments, providing information to staff and outside sources (CRA, Union Associations, HBT, PBC), applying and administering interpretations of various collective agreement provisions regarding benefit information and performing other related duties as required.What you'll do
What you bring
- In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of BC Clinical & Support Services (BCCCS), the position promotes a safe environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
- Processes group documents for billable services, adjustments, refunds and payments by performing duties such as determining if source documents are billable or non-billable following established procedures to ensure correct accounts and /or services are billed and grouping documents into appropriate batch sizes in order to create batch control totals.
- Reconciles designated accounts by performing duties such as matching information such as payments received, refunds and invoices issued, identifying differences, tracing reasons for differences and preparing adjustment information such as vouchers and credit balance refunds to rectify the differences as required.
- Bills self-pay patients, sundry accounts and a variety of provincial and/or federal agencies such as the Worker's Compensation Board by performing duties such as verifying accuracy of charges, investigating bills to be sent to patients to determine whether the patient is eligible for provincial health coverage, completing supporting documentation prior to billing, posting billing information such as charges for patient medical agency accounts to the accounts receivable ledger.
- Prepares, batches and inputs data utilizing a computerized database program by performing duties such as creating batch control totals for cross referencing once the batch is inputted to ensure services rendered by departments are inputted into the computerized accounts receivable system, inputting data from source documents and checking manually entered data against original source documents to detect input errors and taking corrective action according to established procedures.
- Makes adjustments to billing information by methods such as processing additional information obtained from sources such as patients, other departments, interface reports and departmental staff, inputting changes into the computerized database system as required and forwarding discrepancies to the Manager, Accounting & Patient Accounts as required.
- Processes payments by performing duties such as receiving payments, entering information into cash receipts journal, balancing and summarizing journal and receivable accounts by matching and checking payments received against invoices and posting from journal to accounts receivable ledger.
- Follows-up on delinquent accounts by performing duties such as requesting reports of overdue accounts, initiating and responding to correspondence and telephone inquiries from patients, billing agencies, insurers and departments, sending out reminders, re-billings or other appropriate correspondence and tracing accounts by investigating returned mail to determine new billing address.
- Maintains departmental filing system by performing duties such as sorting and filing correspondence such as vouchers and invoices and retrieving files for information as requested.
- Maintains extended care patient trust accounts, requests and receives deposits, processes charges and prepares patient trust account statements as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12, successful completion of a recognized payroll course and three years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills & Knowledge
What we bring
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That's why we're focused on your care too - offering health, wellness, development programs to support you - at work and at home.
- Join one of BC's largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations - offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San'yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
$28.74 / Hour
1795 Willingdon Ave, Burnaby, BC V5C 6E3
Applications accepted until position is filled
Hours of Work:
0800-1600 (Monday to Friday)
155723EAs per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people - Be compassionate - Dare to innovate - Cultivate partnerships - Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments' unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.