BAND 4 - Investigator, Forensic Support - Traffic - CLOSING DATE EXTENDED
Surrey, BC V4P 1M5 CA (Primary)
$92,700.24 - $123,200.20 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Attorney General
Ministry Branch / Division
Independent Investigations Office
Job Summary Investigator, Forensic Support - Traffic - Amendment (Oct 5th, 2022): Posting closing date extended to October 20th, 2022.
Management Band 4
This position is excluded from union membership.
An eligibility list may be established to fill future temporary and permanent vacancies
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .If this position interests you and you meet the required criteria, we look forward to your application.
The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) is an independent civilian-led agency with jurisdiction to investigate police-related incidents of death or serious harm to determine whether or not an officer may have committed an offence. The Police Act creates the IIO and defines its powers. The IIO reports to the Attorney General; however, investigations and decisions are operationally independent of the government. The IIO has jurisdiction over all provincial policing agencies, including municipal police agencies, the RCMP, the South Coast BC Transportation Authority Police Service, and the Stl'atl'imx Tribal Police Service. The IIO's jurisdiction also extends to officers appointed as special provincial constables, municipal constables, and includes on- and off-duty officers.IIO Investigations have the potential to provide the evidentiary basis for a trial in criminal court. The legislation under which the IIO operates ensures the investigative approach is without bias, accountable and fair to citizens and to officers under investigation. The IIO works to build community confidence in police accountability.
The Forensic Investigator, Support - Traffic is a collaborative member of a diverse investigation team conducting complex high-profile investigations into critical incidents in BC where it appears a person may have died or suffered serious harm as a result of the actions or inactions of a police officer. This role monitors and conducts peer reviews of technical traffic collision investigations and analysis completed by Traffic Reconstructionists and Collision Analysts from the RCMP, and Municipal Police agencies, on behalf of the IIO, and may be required to attend immediately to traffic collision scenes. All IIO Investigators are required to complete the mandatory Investigator Certification program.Those appointed to this position must not have been a police officer in BC at any time during the 5-year period immediately preceding the appointment, though members of Police service outside of BC are eligible to apply.Applicants who have not been police officers in BC for almost 5 years during the recruitment process may apply, but they are not eligible for appointment until the 5-year period is completed. Therefore, placement on an eligibility list for successful applicants is possible under these circumstances.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca) .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact email@example.com DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS
. For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- Degree or technical certification in a field related to law, investigation and enforcement, science, forensics, criminology, or equivalent, plus successful completion of recognized training in the field of Traffic Reconstruction.
- Extensive experience (minimum 7 years) attending scenes as lead traffic analyst or reconstructionist.
- Extensive experience (minimum 7 years) conducting traffic reconstructions as a qualified Traffic Reconstructionist.
- Experience as a subject matter expert providing evidence in criminal, civil or coroners court related to collision investigation matters.
- Experience providing expert evidence on matters related to subject matter expertise in a provincial and/or superior court is preferred.
- Minimum 7 years experience as lead traffic analyst or reconstructionist investigating personal injury and fatal collisions including those requiring advanced documentation, evidence identification and interpretation with specific experience related to digital evidence recovery is preferred.
Enhanced Security Screening will be required.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Cover Letter: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire (STANDARD): YES
- You will be required to answer a standard questionnaire.
Leadership and Management
Management and Executive