BAND 4 - Director Position Classification
Band 4 Union
N/A Work Options
Victoria, BC V9B 6X2 CA (Primary)Salary Range
$102,900.00 - $136,700.11 annually Close Date
11/30/2023 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Finance Ministry Branch / Division
Policy and Legislation Division Job Summary Bring your financial expertise and leadership skills to this opportunity
The Policy & Legislation Division
provides policy analysis and advice to the Minister of Finance, Cabinet, the Deputy Minister of Finance, and other senior government officials. The Division is responsible for tax policy, intergovernmental fiscal relations, providing strategic oversight of BC Assessment, administering the annual Property Assessment Review Panel process, financial and corporate sector policy and data analytics, and directs the implementation of related government decisions through development and preparation of legislation.
There are two positions available:
The Director, Capital Markets Policy provides advice in a specialized area of expertise requiring extensive technical knowledge and experience with securities regulatory policy and legislation.
The Director, Real Estate and Business Organizations provides advice in a specialized area of expertise requiring extensive technical knowledge and experience with complex policy and legislation related to business organizations and real estate services.
The Director independently provides timely analysis and policy advice to key decision-makers including the Minister, Deputy Minister, Cabinet and Treasury Board, government caucus committees, and government and independent regulatory agencies, and provides analysis and recommendations to support provincial legislative and regulatory frameworks and related policy development.
The Director acts for the Executive Director in the Executive Director's absence and/or during peak workload periods. In this capacity, the position independently exercises leadership, judgement and initiative, briefs senior executives and elected officials, and represents the Province as required.
The Director must maintain a comprehensive knowledge of provincial, federal and international financial or corporate sector regulatory and framework concerns in order to identify high priority issues and impacts on stakeholders.
The Director acts as a technical resource and mentor to Strategic Policy Advisors, Legislative Analysts and other staff, and leads cross-government and/or government/stakeholder/consultant teams on specific projects and assignments.Job Requirements:
- University degree in a related discipline such as law, economics or public administration, business or related discipline plus 3 years' experience in public policy analysis, preferably in a finance setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience conducting independent research and analysis and providing advice to senior government and non-government officials and elected officials on complex issues.
- Experience developing briefing materials and providing oral briefings and informal recommendations to senior management and elected officials.
- Demonstrated related experience in managing legislative / policy development projects and implementing policy decisions.
- Experience leading project teams and acting as a technical resource or mentor to other staffeffective speaking, writing and consulting skills, and the ability to work independently to meet critical deadlines.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Melissa.Ostropolski@gov.bc.ca
.About this Position:
Remote work is allowed, this position can work up to full time from their home in British Columbia subject to an approved telework agreement. The locations listed above are to assist applicants in searching for this opportunity and are not a complete list of locations..
There is currently two (2) permanent opportunities available.
An eligibility list may be established for future permanent and temporary opportunities.
Employees of the BC Public Service must be located in BC at the time of employment.
This position is excluded from union membership.Working for the BC Public Service:
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service is available to applicants that self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, status or non-status, Métis, or Inuit) seeking work or already employed in the BC Public Service. For guidance on applying and interviewing, please contact IndigenousApplicants@gov.bc.ca
or 778-405-3452.How to Apply:
Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements listed above.Cover Letter: YES
- A cover letter is required as part of your application. The content and/or format of your cover letter may be evaluated as part of the assessment process.Resume: YES
- Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire: YES
- You will need to complete a standard questionnaire (current employment status, eligibility to apply, etc.).
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.Additional Information:
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Category
Leadership and Management
Management and Executive