BAND 3 - Employee Relations Specialist
Kamloops, BC V2H 1B7 CA
Multiple Locations, BC CA (Primary)
Nanaimo, BC V9T 6L8 CA
Nelson, BC V1L 6K1 CA
Prince George, BC V2N4P7 CA
Vancouver, BC V6B 0N8 CA
Victoria, BC V9B 6X2 CA
$77,700.20 - $110,000.05 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> BC Public Service Agency
Ministry Branch / Division
BC Public Service Agency
Job Summary Employee Relations Specialist
Management Band 3
This position is excluded from union membership.
A well-qualified, experienced applicant's starting salary will be $86,500/annually.
The locations listed above are to assist applicants in searching for this opportunity.This position may be performed in other approved locations within the Province of BC.For specific information about a location, applicants must contact the Hiring Manager to confirm if working remotely from that location could be considered.
An eligibility list may be established.
Telework options may be available upon successful completion of a probationary period.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .Experienced in employee and labour relations? Become part of a skilled, collaborative HR team contributing to a progressive and professional work environment
The BC Public Service Agency (PSA) provides leadership and services in people management. PSA supports its clients in achieving their human resource goals and improves the overall effectiveness of the public service by providing human resource management policies and frameworks, as well as a variety of human resource services, products and programs.
An Employee Relations Specialist provides specialized expertise to supervisors/managers of all ministries and PSA staff relating to the interpretation, application and administration of collective agreements, employment and related legislation and policy, conditions of employment, effective employee relations practices. As a highly effective communicator and seasoned professional,an Employee Relations Specialistwill lead or assist in complex investigations for both included and excluded public service employees.
As an Employee Relations Specialist, you will function effectively in a challenging environment where your analytical andmediation/negotiation skills will be tested daily and where your decisions impact the organization's relationship with its employees. This promotes effective employer/employee relations and provides support in achieving excellence in public service. You will oversee a diverse portfolio and possess the autonomy to organize your work schedule accordingly along with having flexibility in managing workload obligations.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca) .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact K imberley.Bowman@gov.bc.ca
. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
For more information about how to create or update your profile and how to submit your application, please refer to the Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.NOTE:
Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
Special Requirements/ Provisos
- A university degree in a related field (e.g. Business Administration, Industrial Relations, etc.) and a minimum of 3 years' recent experience in a related Human Resources role in a unionized environment; OR
- A diploma in in a related field and a minimum of 5 years' recent experience in a related Human Resources role in a unionized environment; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Note: For the above requirement, to be considered "related", Employee Relations or Labour Relations work must have been the primary function of the role. This should include the provision of consultative advice and expertise on matters such as employee/labour relations, performance management, attendance management, investigations, discipline, workplace complaints and/or grievances.
- Experience working effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and building relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Preference may be given to applicants who have recent experience leading or directing employee/labour relations investigations.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- Must be willing to travel, including travel by air, to facilitate and attend training, for investigations, and for additional duties as necessary. Travel is estimated at 1-3 days per month but may be more or less depending on work assignments.
- Valid FULL BC driver's license (minimum class 5), or an equivalent class driver's license from another province or jurisdiction. Please note that this will be verified at the end of the competition. * Learners "L" and Novice "N" license does not meet the job requirement.
- Must be willing and able to drive a vehicle.
- Must be willing to work outside normal working hours and travel on short notice.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Cover Letter: NO -
Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES -
Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES -
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Human Resources, Leadership and Management