BAND 3 - Communications Manager
Band 3 OIC
Victoria, BC V9B 6X2 CA (Primary)
$77,700.20 - $110,000.05 annually
Regular Full Time
Temporary End Date
BC Public Service -> Ministry of Finance
Ministry Branch / Division
Job Summary Communications Manager
Management Band 3 OIC
This position is excluded from union membership.
The starting salary range for this position is: $77,700.20 - $85,775.17 annually, and will be determined by the successful candidate's relevant education and experience.
On November 1, 2021 the BC Public Service announced the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19.Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required.It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .
This posting is to establish a pre-qualified pool of applicants who will be eligible to be appointed tofull-time, permanentand temporary positions in GCPE officesin all provincial government ministries. This pool has been designed so applicants can be considered for multiple Communications Manager opportunities across the Government Communication and Public Engagement organization.Applicants who are successful in the competition will be placed into the pre-qualified pool and appointments will be made based on the requirements of the hiring ministry.Bring your vision andstrategicplanning skillsto this importantcommunications managementrole
Government Communications and Public Engagement (GCPE) is a dynamic, progressive and innovative organization that supports the external communication of government programs, policies and priorities in an ongoing dialogue with British Columbians. GCPE leads and coordinates government communications through its three divisions: Strategic Communications, Communications Operations and Corporate Priorities.
TheCommunications Managermanages the day-to-day operations of a team of excluded communications professionals, guiding the development and implementation of ministry-specific communications plans; effective and quick-response issues management strategies; media relations; event planning and management; and digital and online services.
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. We acknowledge all Indigenous peoples on whose territories we work and play. We honour their connections to the land and respect the importance of the diverse teachings, traditions, and practices within these territories. Consider joining our team and helping us build an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For information about the Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service please visit: Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service - Province of British Columbia .
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile.For specific position related enquiries, please contact Caroline.McAndrews@gov.bc.ca
.DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE:Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Requirements:
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
Preference may be given to those with:
- Bachelor's Degree or higherin a related field such as journalism, public relations, political science, writing, English, or a communications-related discipline and5 years or morerelated work experience in progressively more responsible communications positions
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Related work experience includes a combination of the following:
- Experience in stakeholder and partner engagement and media or public relations
- Experience in issues management and communications strategy planning
- Experience in professional writing/communications product development (e.g.: engagement and communication plans, new releases, backgrounders; publications content; speech writing; notes and strategies for legislative introductions; web and digital content, etc.)
- Experience managing diverse workloads proactively, effectively, independently and under pressure
- Experience managing complex files and projects as a team leader
- Experience in a wide range of communications shops
- Experience supervising staff
- Experience having direct responsibility for developing and coordinating internal/external communications and engagement functions of a complex corporate or public sector organization
- Experience in digital or marketing communications (e.g. video production, graphic and/or digital design, community management, social media, publication management and design)
- Experience with government and parliamentary procedures
Candidates must be willing and able to:
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
- Understand and commit to a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Work outside of standard business hours (including statutory holidays and weekends)
- Work on-call and extended hours during emergency activations, including operational deployments across the province
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:Cover Letter: NO-
Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume: YES-
A resume is required as part of your application; however, itmay notbe used for initial shortlisting purposes.Questionnaire(COMPREHENSIVE): YES-
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.IMPORTANT:
Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.
Leadership and Management
Management and Executive