Band 1 OIC - Public Affairs Officer Position Classification
Band 1 OIC Union
N/A Work Options
Multiple Locations, BC CA (Primary)
Vancouver, BC V6B 0N8 CA
Victoria, BC V9B 6X2 CASalary Range
$63,400.00 - $90,399.95 annually Close Date
12/3/2023 Job Type
Regular Full Time Temporary End Date Ministry/Organization
BC Public Service -> Government Communication and Public Engagement Ministry Branch / Division
Communications Operations Job Summary A step in the right direction to further your career in communications
Government Communications and Public Engagement (GCPE) is a dynamic, progressive organization that supports the government in its ongoing dialogue with British Columbians. GCPE leads and coordinates government communications and public engagement through three divisions: Strategic Communications, Communications Operations and Corporate Priorities.
The Communications Operations Division is responsible for communications management and coordination of corporate priority files of government and for providing strategic coordination of daily issues-based communications activities.
If you are a communications professional with the collaborative skills and the initiative required to succeed in this busy, high profile environment, we look forward to hearing from you.Job Requirements
Education and Experience:In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
Related* work experience is defined as a combination of the following:
- Certificate or Diploma in journalism or communications or a Bachelor's Degree in a related field such as journalism, public relations, public policy, political science, writing, English, or a communications-related discipline AND 1 year or more communications related* work experience; OR
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Preference may be given to applicants with one or more of the following:
- Experience working in public relations and/or communications within an organization
- Experience developing a range of communications products to connect with internal or public audiences
Proviso / Willingness
- Experience working in reactive communications (e.g. crisis communications, media relations, issues management, social community management, etc.)
- Experience working in proactive communications (e.g. event planning, announcements, social media, communications planning, etc.)
- Experience working with First Nations or Indigenous organizations
- 3 years or more communications-related work experience
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism or a communications-related discipline
Candidates must be willing and able to:
- Understand and commit to a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Work weekend/holiday/evening on-call shifts to support Communications Shops when scheduled or as operationally required (on-call requirements may vary by shop)
- Work on-call and extended hours during emergency activations, including operational deployments across the province
- Work flexible work arrangements (schedules and workplaces)
For questions regarding this position, please contact GCPE.Recruitment@gov.bc.ca
.About this Position:
This position is excluded from union membership
The starting salary for this position is $63,400.00 - $70,149.99 annually, and will be determined by the successful candidate's relevant education and experience.
Thisposition will be based in one of the GCPE offices in Victoria or Vancouver.Telework options may be available upon successful completion of a probationary period. Telework is voluntary with conditions.
This posting is to establish a pre-qualified pool of applicants who will be eligible to be appointed to full-time, permanent and temporary positions in GCPE offices for all provincial government ministries. This pool has been designed so applicants can be considered for multiple Public Affairs Officer opportunities across the Government Communication and Public Engagement organization. Applicants who are successful in the competition will be placed into the pre-qualified pool and appointments will be made based on the requirements of the hiring ministry, using preferred qualifications.Working for the BC Public Service:
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Indigenous Applicant Advisory Service can help Indigenous applicants (First Nations [status or non-status],Métis or Inuit) interested in BC Public Service job positions.How to Apply: Your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the job requirements list above.Cover Letter: NO
- Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.Resume required: YES
- A resume is required as part of your application, however, itmay notbe used for initial shortlisting purposes.Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE)
- You will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and how you obtained your relevant experience. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
Helpful tips, videos and more regarding the application process can be found on the Your Job Application page of MyHR. If you are experiencing technical difficulty applying, e-mail BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca
, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible.Additional Information:
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
The BC Public Service COVID-19 Vaccination Policy defines the conditions and expectations for BC Public Service employees regarding vaccination against COVID-19. Among other possible measures, proof of vaccination will be required. It is a term of acceptance of employment that you agree to comply with all vaccination requirements that apply to the public service. More information can be found here .
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located at the bottom of the posting.Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.Job Category
Communications, Leadership and Management
Government Sales and Marketing