BMO Bank of Montreal has an industry-leading Program for providing financing solutions to the technology sector - BMO Technology & Innovation Segment ("BMO Tech"). Supported by the national Commercial Banking salesforce, this Program meets the unique needs of this fast growing industry, from seed stage through to Capital Market requirements. To this end, these activities are complemented by dedicated Risk Managers, BMO Capital Markets and BMO Private Banking.
The Associate, Technology and Innovation Banking works alongside the BMO Tech team, with a mandate to participate in a variety of credit activities for the technology portfolio - new credit transactions, reviews, monitoring of covenants, borrowing base certificates, contract lines, and other conditions of credit. This position will also assist the Head, BMO Tech with the technology portfolio reporting and monitoring to help inform and drive strategy, product, program updates.
The primary activities of the BMO Tech Associate are as follows:
• Work collaboratively with regional BMO Tech Directors, underwrite deals, manage risk within BMO programs and policies, support growth and retention efforts of the technology portfolio. This work will focus on deals from $1to $20 million and/or deals of high complexity; • Conduct credit due diligence, financial analysis, prepare New Business Committee applications, credit applications; assist and provide guidance to credit structuring, • For higher complexity customer files, perform interim monitoring, covenant testing, borrowing base certificates, SaaS lending metrics and other conditions of credit; • Provide guidance to front line account management in regard to tech sector files under their accountability.
As an Associate for the BMO Technology and Innovation Banking team, this role is highly specialised in industry knowledge, risk management, unique borrowing needs, complex capital structures that include venture capital debt, venture debt, sub-debt, and government funding. This role is actively counted on by the Tech team nationally for expertise, analytics, due diligence to help close business deals, grow the portfolio and promote BMO's brand in the technology sector.
The role involves in-depth due diligence, financial analysis, credit writing to provide holistic financial solutions that include unique credit structuring required in this sector. The individual will develop a familiarity with venture capital firms, sub-debt providers and government support programs. Ideally the individual should also be conversant with SaaS financing models, R&D tax credit financing, contract financing and cash-flow lending methodologies. It is not uncommon for BMO to partner with junior debt and alternate capital providers in larger financing programs.
The role is also accountable for monitoring of higher complexity files that are common to the technology sector - contract monitoring, borrowing base certificates, SaaS lending metrics, cash flows.
The role is accountable for deep industry expertise to effectively be a trusted partner to the front line, customers, internal and external networks. The position is jointly responsible with regional Directors and Account Managers to effectively interact with clients to enhance their relationship with the Bank. Credit Assessment
• Collaborate with BMO Tech Directors and Account Managers to generate ideas, identify client solutions, pursue marketing efforts, cover clients, and deliver timely solutions. • Actively manage client solution opportunities within the tech portfolio. • Operate as key member of the deal team and coordinate preparation of lending proposals and pitches to prospective clients with efforts to maximize penetration and returns. • Provide deal structuring expertise. • Provide accurate financial analysis and oversight of new and existing bank customers. • Proven background in the review and analysis of complex financial statements and unique performance indicators found in the technology and innovation sector. Evaluating their ability to repay, and consultation of structure, collateral and ownership. • Prepare/oversee preparation of concise, well-reasoned credit correspondence. • Analyzes the financial condition of existing bank customers. Proven background in the review of highly complex financial statements and tax returns submitted by applicants and is capable of evaluating their ability to repay. • Responsible for identifying trends in client activities which may be predictive of deteriorating credit quality. • Seeks alternative means of financing or counter offers for all borrowers when it is determined that the original request cannot be accommodated. B. Client Performance Management
• Oversee documentation and ongoing monitoring of asset and client performance. • Responsible for monitoring quarterly touches, trigger compliance and covenants of clients within assigned accounts to identify deteriorating credit conditions and compliance with loan agreement. • Monitor high risk loans via established procedures, with transfers Special Assets Monitoring Unit or Small Business Collections as appropriate. • Ensure that renewals are completed on a timely basis to avoid any administrative past dues and maintain compliance with Key Risk Indicators . • Ensure that annual reviews are completed on a timely basis to maintain compliance with Key Risk Indicators • Ensure that annual loan renewals, reviews and monitoring are completed in a timely fashion to avoid any administrative past dues. C. Sales Support and Partnerships
• Responsible for providing an excellent client experience in all interactions with clients and prospects • Maintain key ongoing contact with lending clients in conjunction with relationship managers. • Work with specialists as needed to support cross-sell opportunities. • Maintain and promote a customer service environment, to include satisfying and exceeding customer needs and expectations. • Participate in on site customer visits with regional Directors. This will require travel nationally, from time to time. • Increase share of wallet with customer by identifying cross-sell opportunities or enhance existing services by recommending, credit, deposit, cash management, etc. • Maintain awareness of all firm products and services offered and facilitate means of receiving continuous updates • Intercede with Internal Audit and Loan Review during exams and reviews regarding questions arising from a file review Knowledge:
• Requires a minimum of 3-5 years of previous Commercial Loan and underwriting experience in a financial services environment. Demonstrated ability to successfully structure credit requests that minimize risk while providing client value. • Bachelor's degree. Preferably in a business related field. • Demonstrated knowledge of cash flow, credit, capital structures, and evaluating collateral. • High level financial analytics. • Experience and demonstrated knowledge of the technology and innovation sector. • Thorough knowledge of software being utilized to capture credit applications, proprietary scoring model, Word and Excel. Skills:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. • Ability to make sound transactional decisions to ensure policies and directives are met. • Ability to make timely decisions in a fast paced, production environment. • Ability to communicate effectively by adding value to Relationship Managers and Customers. • Ability to work independently and take ownership of personal performance and development. • Demonstrates aptitude to interpret and evaluate consumer credit bureau reports, Dun & Bradstreet business reports and public records. We're here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do - helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future-the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we're changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Banking, Finance and Insurance