Position Title Associate Dean -- Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration Posting Number 01087SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level A - Pay Band 14 Salary Range - Position Type Administration - Regular Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Regular Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Administration Start Date 09/01/2021 End Date Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift N/A Work Arrangements
This regular full-time position is available September 1, 2021. Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Travel between Douglas College's locations as required. Travel for business may be required on occasion.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Under the direction of the Dean, Commerce and Business Administration (C&BA), the Associate Dean provides day-to-day leadership for the credit and non-credit programs in the Faculty of C&BA. The Associate Dean works with faculty, staff and administration to co-ordinate program planning and development, implementation and review, and to uphold academic standards. The Associate Dean assists the Dean with budgeting; handling complaints, grievances and appeals; selecting, supervising, and evaluating faculty and staff; overseeing work assignments and scheduling; coordinating professional development opportunities; and other related duties as required.Responsibilities
Together with the Dean, the Associate Dean, Commerce and Business Administration (C&BA) is accountable for the following:
• Representing the Office of the Dean of the Faculty of C&BA;
• Providing direction and leadership to faculty, staff and excluded personnel;
• Working with the Dean, Chairs and Coordinators to ensure that new curriculum for the credit and non-credit programs is planned, developed and implemented, and that existing curriculum is regularly reviewed and updated; ensuring quality standards for program review and curriculum development;
• Supports the development and implementation of new programming in the Faculty of C&BA; assists in communicating program needs to other areas of the College (such as Enrolment Services) and to collaborative partners (within the College or at other institutions);
• Assisting with developing, implementing and monitoring of departmental and operational plans in coordination with the Dean, Chairs and Coordinators;
• Working with C&BA faculty and staff and relevant College areas to manage and resolve student-related issues;
• Supporting student success by working with students and faculty, as required, to address performance and/or academic issues;
• Ensuring the quality and integrity of activities within the Faculty of C&BA;
• Participating in selection processes, hiring decisions, and onboarding of new hires;
• Managing the faculty performance review process;
• Reviewing and recommending to the Dean approval of faculty professional development, vacation, sick leave and other leaves of absence requests;
• Maintaining knowledge of, and ensuring compliance with the DCFA and BCGEU Collective Agreements and all relevant College policies and procedures;
• Working with the Chairs, Coordinators, program staff and College partners, to monitor attrition and ensure the development and implementation of student success and enrolment management measures;
• Initiating program-related market research and needs assessments; participating in promotional and marketing opportunities involving credit/non-credit programs;
• Working with the Chairs and Coordinators to ensure high quality online and print communication materials related to C&BA programs;
• Working with department Chairs and Coordinators regarding the staffing of the Education Plans for each department;
• Working with the Chairs and Coordinators regarding the staffing, scheduling of workload, timetabling, and instructional hours in alignment of the Collective Agreement;
• In collaboration with the Dean, ensure Faculty of C&BA and departmental budgets are developed and maintained within the approved parameters;
• Representing the Dean and the Faculty of C&BA in selected external relationships;
• Under the direction of the Dean, ensuring the establishment and maintenance of a Program Advisory Committee for each program and representing the Dean on selected Program Advisory Committees;
• Responsibility for specific initiatives in the Faculty of C&BA as identified by the Dean;
• Work with the Office of Institutional Effectiveness to establish data analytics and research priorities to best support program management decisions;
• Supporting and upholding Academic Integrity within the Faculty of C&BA;
• Support a culture of excellence in teaching though professional development;
• Lead the development and implementation of initiatives in support of the College's Strategic Plan;
• Performing other related duties as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• A graduate degree in a Commerce and Business Administration field from an accredited post-secondary institution;
• A minimum of three years Full-Time Equivalent post-secondary teaching experience in a discipline represented in the Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration;
• A minimum of three years of experience in academic administration or similar role
(such as Department Chair, Program Coordinator, Associate Dean) within a post-secondary institution;
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered;
• Ability to meet the qualified to teach determination in Commerce and Business Administration;
• Demonstrated interpersonal and relationship building capabilities including the ability to foster teamwork and facilitate collaborative working relationships; mediation skills; and the ability to build consensus among diverse stakeholders;
• Demonstrated organizational, time management and technology skills, meeting deadlines, working under pressure and self-direction;
• Proven capacity to manage change and a demonstrated ability to drive innovations from conception through to implementation;
• Proven leadership ability;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• An understanding and demonstrated commitment to principles of equity, diversity and inclusion. An understanding and demonstrated commitment to Indigenization.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 04/15/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. We will begin reviewing applications on May 6, 2021.
Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/7298