Position Title Assistant Registrar, Records & Registration Posting Number 01078SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level A - Pay Band 10 Salary Range - Position Type Administration - Regular Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Regular Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Administration Start Date 05/03/2021 End Date Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Work Arrangements
This regular full-time position is available starting May 3, 2021. Regular hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Travel between Douglas College's campuses will be required.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
Under the direction of the Associate Registrar, the Assistant Registrar is responsible for the day to day management and operations of credit and non credit Records & Registration unit, ensuring high service levels and standards are met. The Assistant Registrar is responsible in ensuring the College is in compliance with College, provincial and federal policies, and reporting requirements. The Assistant Registrar leads, trains and supervises staff and ensures they are following current policies and procedures. The Assistant Registrar is responsible for providing leadership and developing a comprehensive training plan for the team. The Assistant Registrar is responsible for assessing and initiating change to existing services and developing new processes that will deliver effective services. The Assistant Registrar also advises faculty and college community on policies and procedures and trains College staff on policies and procedures pertaining to the College and Enrolment Services. The incumbent participates in the development, revision, and implementation of policies and procedures; participates in the planning of budget, resources requirements, allocations and deployment; recommends improvements for functionality of the system.Responsibilities
The Assistant Registrar is accountable for the following:
• Develops, monitors, and implements objectives to achieve departmental goals to support the College strategic plan;
• Identifies, evaluates, reviews, implements and assesses changes to improve and/or streamline services and business process and policies;
• Manages and plans the day-to-day operations of the unit, ensuring consistency of practice and maintenance of excellent service levels;
• Oversees the creation, maintenance and long term retention of student academic records and operation of systems and procedures, which may include, but not limited to student grades, verification of degree progress, student academic standings, application of academic regulations, student athletic records, student athletics' eligibility, and the collection of basic enrolment data;
• Verifies accuracy of data and data-entry practices in accordance with established policy and data standards and identifies issues and recommends solutions;
• Safeguards the security and privacy of student applications, records by administering the policies and procedures on the confidentiality of the applications, and student records, and in compliance with the provincial government's legislation on Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy;
• Under the direction of the Associate Registrar, ensures integrity of systems by maintaining controls rules and validation tables relating to the curriculum administration, applicant and student records and related data;
• Responsible for overseeing the maintenance of complex system tables which are the backbone of the student information system. Defines student information systems priorities for the unit or service team in consultation with the Associate Registrar and/or Registrar by consulting with key stakeholders within the unit and other departments and conducting research on trends to ensure strategic objectives for the unit are met;
• Serves as expert in unit systems related matters and maintains technical currency;
• Ensures personnel are following current policies and procedures and processes are executed promptly and efficiently;
• Maintains currency with institutional and government policies and procedures;
• Reviews, implements and assesses changes to existing business process plans and new business processes and policies;
• Implements and maintains communication strategies to inform students, faculty, staff, and other organizations about College programs. Reviews and recommends potential changes to communication strategies;
• Makes decisions on exceptions to policies related to the unit or service team or special case requests from students;
• Develops system specifications, tests, monitors, maintains and initiates corrective measures for all information management systems needs by liaising with appropriate individuals, departments, and organizations;
• Monitor changes in requirements and the production of reports and coordinating system implementation of system changes;
• Maintains digital fluency in a wide array of software applications and enterprise wide systems such as student information system, visual analytics systems, constituent relationship management software, degree audit, curriculum management software, content management systems, document management systems, etc.
• Represents the College and College interests before external agencies, other institutions, various organizations and groups;
• Leads and supervises unionized support staff including recruitment and selection, training, performance planning, evaluating and disciplining where appropriate;
• Ensures staff participate in required training and appropriate professional development that will support them to maintain and enhance the professional and job related skills to provide high level of service to support students;
• Represents the College in the grievance procedure as required;
• Represents the unit on various committee as designated by the Associate Registrar;
• Acts on behalf of the Associate Registrar in his or her absence as requested; and
• Performs other related duties as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• Established professional credibility as evidenced by a baccalaureate degree from an accredited post-secondary institution;
• A minimum of three years of supervisory and leadership experience in overseeing records and registration team in the Office of the Registrar, including strong working knowledge and experience with Registrarial operations such as records, registration, scheduling etc;
• A minimum of two years supervisory experience in a unionized environment;
• Demonstrated ability to supervise and lead including the ability to mentor and develop staff;
• Extensive knowledge of government regulations and issues of compliance within Canadian post-secondary education;
• Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply policies and regulations;
• Demonstrated ability to model appropriate professional, ethical and collaborative behaviours consistent with the responsibilities of this position;
• Demonstrated ability in customer/student services and dealing in stressful, often emotionally charged situations;
• Demonstrated mature judgment and initiative;
• Excellent planning, organizational and administrative skills;
• Excellent knowledge of and ability to troubleshoot issues associated with student information systems;
•Demonstrated exceptional research, quantitative, and computer skills, including considerable knowledge of database applications (e.g. Student Information Systems, excel, tableau, etc.); and
• Demonstrated organizational, analytical, decision-making and problem solving skills and a track record of resolving diverse and complex problems;
• Demonstrated skill in the design and development of training documentations;
• Experience in business workflow design and business process improvements.
• Communications Skills - Possesses strong communication skills, both verbal, and written and expresses thoughts in an organized, concise manner. Actively listens to the issues of others in a manner that elicits cooperation and support. Demonstrates an effective and adaptive skill in communicating with students/individuals under stress. Develops and delivers effective presentations. Has the ability to present information and ideas to diverse groups.
• Market Knowledge - Continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in his/her field and is committed to continuous learning; one that is self‐motivated and self‐directed, being able to work independently with sense of urgency to task completion.
• Student Focused - Anticipates, responds, and attends to the needs of students and other internal and external customers of the department and organization.
• Effective Working Relationships - Treats staff, colleagues, and students with respect; resolves conflicts respectfully and in a timely way, negotiates effectively, and provides effective feedback to colleagues / direct reports.
• Administrative Skills - Provides leadership to and ensures accountability for achievement for results; very focused; strong organizational skills; simplifies often complex and lengthy matters; effective time management skills; ability to separate important issues and identify priorities.
• Organizationally Astute - Is diplomatic and tactful; non-confrontational; recognizes internal and external sensitivities; has an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions; uses sound judgment.
• Adaptable - Has the ability to adapt to new and changing situations; able to alter course/direction when necessary and provide this type of leadership to those for whom they supervise; enjoys and embraces new challenges. Flexible; able to deal with stress effectively.
Link to Full Position Profile Diversity Statement
Douglas College is committed to being a workplace that is free of discrimination, that values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the communities we serve.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Open Date 04/07/2021 Close Date 04/21/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https://www.douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/7226