Full-time; Contract (July – September 15th, 2023)
Date Posted: May 16, 2023
Who we are…
The Pacific National Exhibition is an iconic institution in BC, famous for bringing generations of people together to celebrate and build memories. This 113-year-old, non-profit organization has an annual operating budget of over $70 million dollars and generates revenue through four activity streams: the 15-day annual summer Fair and winter Fair which average more than 700,000 people annually, Playland amusement park which welcomes 400,000 guests annually including Fright Nights, and a busy year-round portfolio of events including concerts, trade shows and film, cultural and community events. In total we bring over 2 million people through the site each year. The fourth activity stream is park care and facility maintenance. The PNE is proud of the work it does at Hastings Park and has a vibrant team that is passionate about events, guest experience and delivering memorable experiences.
At the PNE, we strive to create an environment that reflects our organization’s core values: Enthusiasm, Excellence and Evolution. With a focus on these core values, we are committed to achieving our mission which is to “Deliver Memorable Experiences” for all who interact with the PNE whether it is our guests, our employees, or the community.
We are looking for a talented individual to join our PNE Facilities & Maintenance team and oversee the daily operation of the Site Clean-up department for the annual Fair. This position reports to the Manager of Facility and Venue Operations and assists in managing the Site Clean-up team in the upkeep of site/building/washroom cleanliness, garbage/recycling bin distribution & collection, as well as pre-Fair and post-Fair set-up and take down.
Why join our Team?
- Exhilarating and fun-loving culture
- Flexible work environment
- Health and wellness employee events – put your hiking boots on or enjoy an evening out with your favorite colleagues.
- Opportunity for free or discounted tickets to shows, events, sports games, and much more.
- Staff discounts for Playland, The Fair, and Fright Nights, as well as all PNE Food Stands
- Competitive compensation package
- Opportunity to create lasting memories and friendships!
What will you do this year?
In your role as an Assistant Manager, Fair Site Clean-up, your primary accountabilities will be to:
- Develop and implement the department schedule for the Site Clean-up team (including forepersons, sweepers, and facility attendants) within posted budgets.
- Responsible for setting and monitoring staff work schedules in consideration of daily park traffic and weather changes.
- Responsible for assigning and deploying staff to pre-determined site clean areas based on Fair grounds cleaning zones.
- Assist with Fair group interview sessions and coordinate hiring, training and evaluate work performance of Fair time staff.
- Coordinate all pre- and post-Fair activities, including meetings, training sessions, and Fair setup/ tear down.
- Develop and implement sign out program for: Brooms, Dust Pans, Janitorial Carts, Tilt Trucks, Janitorial Keys, Radios etc.
- Ensure garbage collection educational packages for vendors are printed and distributed to all vendors requiring garbage collection and ensure they have the adequate supplies.
- Ensure all department timesheets are completed and submitted on-time.
- Maintain inventory levels of all required supplies to ensure proper levels are always available.
- Maintain cleanliness of Site Clean compound and equipment.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of departmental policies and procedures regarding onsite Guest Services operations.
- Enforce PNE policies & procedures; coaching, performance managing and disciplining employees as required.
- Handle complaints from guests as it relates to Site Cleanup, and resolve complaints based on written and established guidelines.
- Maintain effective working relationships with superiors, other departments, subordinates and the public.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Must have successful completion of Grade 12 combined with previous experience in customer service and/or operations within a related industry.
- Must have previous management/supervisory experience.
- Ability to function independently and under pressure and to manage various projects at the same time.
- Advanced experience and proficiency with computer applications such as Microsoft Office, particularly Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of departmental Fair Polices and familiarity with Playland and the Fair is considered an asset.
- Must possess sufficient physical ability and stamina to spend extended hours walking and standing, often outdoors.
- Knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions for the clean-up of events.
- Strong commitment to guest services, and excellent interpersonal skills, perception, and judgment for quickly resolving guests’ problems and disputes.
- Strong supervisory, communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Strong planning, organizational, problem solving and administrative skills.
- Ability to foster effective working relationships with peers, subordinates, and the public.
- Must be available to work full time hours from July - September 15.
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends and extended hours/weeks as required. This position is an event driven position and hours of work will vary accordingly.
- Candidates must undergo a Criminal Record Check.
Who are you?
- Skillful communicator
Where and when to APPLY?
Applications can be submitted via the PNE website at www.pne.ca/jobs and will be accepted until the role is filled.
Preference will be given to candidates who submit their resume/cover letter before Sunday, June 11. We look forward to hearing from you!
The PNE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating an inclusive workforce that reflects the diverse community we proudly serve. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or age. If you require any support or accommodations throughout any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the People & Culture Department at email@example.com.
Labour Maintenance and Technicians