The (ASD Ship Assist) Master is in overall command of the ship, its cargo, and crew and is required to lead by example and comply with company Safety and Environmental Management Programs and Operating Procedures. Good interpersonal skills are needed to effectively manage the crew and the ship. The Master will be required to work continuously and working shift work as necessary. The Master will operate some heavy deck machinery and occasionally handle rope or wire lines. In addition, the Master must be able to direct and use all safety and firefighting equipment on the tug. Duties/Accountabilities
Education and Experience
- Comply with all company policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) at all times. Ensure that all officers and crew understand and follow all policies, procedures, orders, and instructions.
- Ensure the vessel is being run in compliance with relevant Canadian legislation.
- Ensure that all dispatches are carried out safely, efficiently, and to the highest standards possible.
- Liaison with engineers to ensure cooperation and teamwork between the deck and engine room personnel.
- Maintain open communication about all vessel machinery with the Chief Engineer or Shore Engineer.
- Ensure that all personnel are trained and familiar with their duties and carry them out safely, efficiently, and effectively.
- Maintain and foster a high standard of teamwork and communication with all crew members on board the vessel.
- Be familiar with the company Health, Safety, Wellness, Environmental, and Quality Policies .
- Respond to all incidents and emergencies.
- Report all incidents and emergencies immediately as per the incident reporting protocol
- A minimum 500 Ton Masters certificate, up to a Master Foreign Going
- Experience on ASD Ship Assist Tug Boats
- All Marine Emergency Duty courses including C and D
- Senior Officers' courses
- Marine Advanced First Aid
- Transport Canada Medical
- Barge towing
- Asset - knowledge of the BC coastline, including Vancouver Harbour and the Fraser River
Ongoing renewal of safety related courses, upgrading certificates as required by Transport Canada, and staying current with changing technology is expected. Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills
Applicants need to be a member in good standing with the Canadian Service Merchant Guild.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and Encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. Note: Unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies will not be accepted
Construction, Mining and Trades