As Canada’s largest security organization, Commissionaires BC provides complete security solutions that integrate highly trained personnel and technology. We also provide expertise in Law Enforcement, Bylaw Enforcement and Animal Control.
The Kennel Attendant will be responsible for all duties related to the care of the animals once they come into the Fraser Valley Animal Control/Care Centre and their general health and welfare.
Site hours: 7am to 7pm – successful candidate must be able to work during these hours, weekends; and be on the on-call rotation
The Kennel Attendant’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Following policies and procedures as set out in Post Orders under direction from the Site Supervisor;
- Ensuring efficient operation of the facility at all times;
- Ensuring the needs of the animals (mental and physical) are met at all times;
- Keeping kennels, cages and pens clean at all times;
- Emptying garbage as required (at least once daily);
- Grooming and socializing of the animals as time permits;
- Assisting the Adoption Coordinator with public viewing of animals available for adoption;
- Regularly checking all animals for health problems and report any health concerns to the Vet Tech and Site Supervisor;
- Performing animal care duties, such as nail clipping and bathing as required and outdoor exercise;
- Administering medications and assisting the Vet Tech as required;
- Ensuring food, water, medicine, bedding, and toy requirements are managed throughout the day as required;
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the entire facility including the office, kennel/pen areas, feed areas, laundry areas, dishes, food areas, washroom areas, and yard;
REQUIRED EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience in a same or similar role;
- Bylaw and investigative skills certification is required; candidate must be willing to be complete the course;
- This position is physically demanding; application must be able to carry a minimum of 20 lbs;
- Have an understanding of dog behavior and body language and be familiar with different dog breeds.
- The ability to learn, understand, interpret, communicate, and enforce the city’s bylaws that pertain to animals;
- The ability and ideally the experience dealing with aggressive dogs;
- Must exhibit examples of dealing with stressful situations;
- Experience in customer service and conflict resolution;
- Strong communication skills both written and spoken with the ability to provide clear, detailed documentation.
- Intermediate computer skills;
- A clean criminal background.
If you would enjoy working with our team of committed professionals please submit your resume.
In accordance with our mandate, applicants with service in the Canadian Forces or RCMP will be given preference, however, all qualified applicants will be considered.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted: November 29, 2016
Closes:January 28, 2017