In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of PHSA safety, including both patient and employee safety, is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA's Agencies/Divisions/Services, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
BCEHS provides public ambulance service in BC under the authority of Emergency Health Services Act. BC Emergency Health Services provides pre-hospital emergency services throughout the province. These services are not covered under the Medical Services Plan or the Canada Health Act, except as a defined benefit for specific employee groups. Reporting to the Ambulance Billing Administrator, this position processes ambulance billing records and investigates and resolves complex billing discrepancies.
This position is also responsible for responding to inquiries, and resolving patient complaints regarding ambulance services accounts.
• Assess and adjudicate BCEHS Patient Care and billing records by reviewing patient care records to determine if service is billable or for statistical purposes only; segregate documents by transaction type and re-route to appropriate category for further processing; loads batch work, review and interpret content of Patient Care Records and apply applicable codes to produce appropriate billing status and amounts, business records, hospital and agency identification and medical records.
• Perform data processing and verification to process a variety of BCEHS transactions in accordance with established procedures, monitor and reconcile daily data transmissions to ensure the data base accurately reflects the content of each file and account, and resolve problems identified during daily data edit routines and verifies the data for accuracy and completeness.
• Research problems identified during daily electronic processing and apply appropriate intervention procedures and initiate override routines.
• Provides billing inquiry telephone support, including investigating and resolving queries from the public and other organizations and agencies, by researching available databases; redirecting patients to appropriate departments or agencies in accordance with established procedures; and processing changes to accounts as per information received from callers.
• Analyzes and reconciles balance sheet accounts for accuracy.
• Prepare statistics and records and provide monthly correspondence statistics/ financial reconciliations to Administrator.
• Identifies billing discrepancies and takes corrective action.
• Draft, revise and process correspondence and documents related to a variety of issues, including complaints, fees, policy, status of account, hospital transfers, statistics and records.
• Contacts various outside agencies requesting further information in order to resolve and process more complex record issues.
• Performs research for information requested for ad hoc reports and special projects.
• Assist Administrators with training by providing orientation and mentoring to staff
• Perform ARCS/ORCS procedures to send records off site.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience
Grade 12, successful completion of a recognized accounting course and two years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to keyboard at 45 w.p.m.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to deal with others effectively
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
• Ability to organize work.
• Ability to operate related equipment.