Amabassador - Health Care Security Kamloops
(Health Care Security)
Reference ID: 258752
Law Enforcement and Security
[Please allow 15 - 20 minutes to complete your application]
Paladin Security Group is the security company of choice among some of the most respected institutions in the country, protecting the public and government facilities. We are committed to offering the best employment and career development opportunities in the security industry because we want the very best and brightest people our industry has to offer.
Job Skills / Requirements
POSITION TITLE: Royal Inland Hospital Ambassador
REPORTS TO: Site Security Lead
The Royal Inland Hospital Ambassador reports to the Site Security Lead and focuses on providing a customer focused liaison role within select Emergency Departments. This role is focused on the proactive engagement of patients and visitors in order to improve the "customer experience" in order to prevent and/or reduce aggressive/disruptive behavior by employing appropriate verbal intervention strategies through people focused, respectful, and supportive interactions aimed at promoting a safe environment and the provision high quality patient focused care.
TYPICAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Continually monitors and actively patrols the emergency department waiting areas and pro-actively engages patients (awaiting treatment), visitors and staff in order to develop a positive safety culture and creates opportunities to enhance the user experience by making connections with those in the area and, where possible, alleviating some of the stresses and anxiety through respectful interpersonal interactions.
2. Uses supportive verbal techniques and engages staff resources in order to identify appropriate strategies aimed at the de-escalation of potentially violent behavior.
3. Develops relationships and maintains liaison with clinical and operational stakeholder groups (i.e. Triage, Admitting, Nursing, Social Work, Mental Health & Addictions, Security and volunteers) in order to ensure effective communication and consultation in the development of appropriate support and/or intervention strategies.
4. Acts as a principal contact for security services within the emergency department and liaises with emergency responders including law enforcement and BC Emergency Services when managing individuals who may pose a risk of violence.
5. Makes observations relating to obvious changes to the apparent health of those awaiting services (i.e. loss of consciousness, dizziness, obvious labored or difficult breathing, unresponsiveness, etc.) in the area and immediately identifies any concerns to clinical staff.
6. Conducts and documents an hourly census of the number of persons in the waiting areas.
7. Maintains basic data concerning the number of client contacts made during each shift.
8. Establishes knowledge of the support options and resources available (i.e. warm blankets, food & drink, transit passes, community support resources such as shelters, etc.) and liaises with staff in order to ensure their applications are appropriate and not contrary to clinical needs (i.e. not all triaged patients should take food or water prior to being seen by a physician).
9. Develops relationships with regular patients and visitors and through consultation with stakeholders develops customized "Approach Plans" that identify strategies for safely and
Effectively managing individual patients and visitors who are known to present a potential risk of violence.
10. In order to establish and maintain a positive rapport with regular patients and visitors, the Client Services
11. Ambassador is not intended to get directly involved in physical interventions unless required to do so in order to preserve the safety of themselves or another person. Whenever possible, the Client Ambassador will engage site security and/or the site Code White team in order to manage physically aggressive or threatening behavior.
12. Participates in multi-disciplinary stakeholder/team briefings/de-briefings and provides input into patient behavior management planning as required.
13. Reports observed and suspected security concerns to site security and/or law enforcement as appropriate, but does not directly engage in security related interventions unless necessary to provide for the safety of another person.
14. Provides way-finding and general information assistance as necessary.
• A valid British Columbia Security Worker's license.
• Grade 12 or High School graduation equivalent.
• Successful completion of the Provincial Violence Prevention Curriculum (PVPC) including the Advanced (ATR), and HUFT Training, or willingness to complete this training.
• Valid Occupational First Aid Level I certification
• Recent related security experience in a security services role within a health/psychiatric facility
• Experience working in a customer service related industry
Skills and Abilities
• The ability to exercise sound judgment and effective interpersonal skills including the ability to appropriately manage hostile/aggressive/inappropriate behaviour is a critical skillset for this position.
• An ability to maintain an empathetic approach to others even in situations of high stress and conflict.
• A strong commitment to superior customer service.
• The ability to effectively relate to and communicate with persons from the more "marginalized" societal stratums.
• The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• A strong working knowledge of non-violent crisis intervention and de-escalation techniques.
• The ability to work independently and as an effective member of a multidisciplinary team.
• A strong working knowledge of applicable Health Organization policies & procedures.
• Working knowledge of applicable legislation and statutes such as the Criminal Code of Canada.
• Physical abilities to carry out the duties of the position.
Additional Information / Benefits
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants that are short listed will be contacted for an interview.
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation
Screening Requirements: Criminal Background Check
This job reports to the Area Security Lead
This is a Full-Time position Will vary .
Number of Openings for this position: 3
Posted: October 14, 2017
Closes:December 5, 2017