Accounting Technician (FT, 13 mths)
Location: Kamloops, BC, CA
Job Function: Finance Corporate Services and Internal Audit Overview:
BCLC's two offices are located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam Indian Band), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples in Vancouver and the Tk'emlúps te Secwépemc territory, situated within the Secwépemc Nation in Kamloops. We honour and respect the people, the territory, and the land we are part of.
Joining the Finance & Corporate services team at BCLC means you'll be working with a dedicated group of talented professionals in Corporate Accounting, Financial Planning & Analysis, Procurement, Business Continuity, Facilities, and Business Services.
The financial management of a complex organization including lottery operations, casino & community gaming, and eGaming business units, which collectively took in over $1.4 billion in net income last year falls within this group.
Working with revenues of well over half a billion dollars in fiscal 2019, an increase over the previous fiscal year, approximately 20% of BCLC's total revenues which represents BCLC's largest player base, our Lottery finance operations group is responsible for recording the gross gaming wagers and direct costs related to Lottery operations including manually recording lottery transactions, ILC funding and reimbursements, instant game management and more.
As a Crown Corporation that earns more than a billion dollars in annual revenue, BCLC's commitment to giving funds back to the province is an integral part of our business, but still only one piece of the picture. At BCLC, we exist to generate win-wins for the greater good. We believe everything we do must benefit the well-being of all involved. Through our Social Purpose, we aspire to make sure, in all of our endeavours and transactions and relationships - in the most important sense of life, livelihood, meaning, and well-being - nobody loses, and every person we touch comes out ahead. BCLC is committed to creating a welcoming workplace where everyone feels safe, included, and valued. For us, that means building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We all are winners when differences are respected, valued and celebrated. Job Summary:
The Accounting Technician provides accounting support to enable the department to deliver on professional services and financial solutions to the organization. This role is responsible for analyzing, recording and reporting financial data, and preparing financial/summary reports. This role also participates in the determination and implementation of preventative control measures and solutions, assisting in the identification and recommendations for process improvements. The Accounting Technician will act as a consultative partner by providing regular input and resolving routine issues for internal and external stakeholders to enable the business to deliver on business initiatives efficiently and effectively. Key Accountabilities: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Performs daily gaming transaction reviews.
- Accounts for revenue and/or accounts receivable (including invoicing); or accounts payable; or cash flow and related activities.
- Posts journal entries for accounting adjustments.
- Performs account reconciliations.
- Completes various function-specific analyses and reports in support of other departmental functions.
- Interacts with personnel from suppliers, service providers, retailers, vendors, banks, and other third parties to resolve transactional and/or process issues.
- Interacts with other Finance areas including (but not limited to) Procurement and Taxation.
- Interacts with Business Technology to effect resolution of process and systems issues.
Education and Experience
- An accredited accounting diploma or accounting technical diploma, or equivalent;
- Active pursuit of an accredited professional accounting designation may be considered an asset;
- 2-3 years of recent, related experience;
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking/innovation;
- Working knowledge of corporate financial systems;
- Strong computer skills - MS office suite;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to present comprehensive information in an easily understood manner;
- Strong time management and multi-tasking skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and work within established deadlines and time constraints;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Good working knowledge of accounting principles with the ability to apply them in a practical way.
- Effective November 22, 2021, BCLC requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with BCLC unless a legal exemption is obtained.
- To build a rich diverse workforce representing the communities which we serve, we welcome applications from people of all colours and cultures, persons with diverse abilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
- BCLC values work life balance and offers remote work options for its employees.
- Relocation assistance is available for successful job candidates.
- If you are in need of accommodation or special assistance at any step of your application, please send an email with your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For over more than a decade, we have been recognized as one of BC's Top Employers - and we are constantly seeking ways to improve our employee and player experience. To learn more about BCLC, please visit: https://corporate.bclc.com/
This opportunity will remain open until a qualified candidate pool has been established.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada and be 19 years of age to work at BCLC.
Banking, Finance and Insurance Maintenance and Technicians