Job Title: Aboriginal Support Worker
Department: School Board Office
Reports to: District Principal Aboriginal Program
Langley School District #35 is seeking applicants for the position of Aboriginal Support Worker for continuing and term assignments.
Reports to the District Principal Aboriginal Education and works independently and collaboratively with Aboriginal Program staff, school, community partners in a variety of situations. Under the direction of the Aboriginal Leadership Team (District Teachers, District Principal Aboriginal Education) and in collaboration with site administrators, the Aboriginal Support worker creates and delivers enhanced services to the students of Aboriginal ancestry and provides an Aboriginal perspective to schools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan substantive services to enhance each self-identifies Aboriginal student’s positive Personal and Cultural Identity in consultation with and approval by the Aboriginal Program.
- Implement approved enhanced services in collaboration with the site administrator such as:
- Creating and/or participating in a “Circle of caring”
- Connecting with the students and families within the schools and in the community
- Strengthening connections for students and family to school, district, community to enhance a sense of belonging
- Providing cultural enrichment activities
- Providing emotional, physical, spiritual and intellectual support
- Provide an Aboriginal perspective to all students and staff at their assigned schools such as:
- Connecting school and staff to resources
- Participating in or providing input for School Based Team and IEP meetings
- Enhancing school and staff understanding of Aboriginal Worldviews and perspectives
- Collect and maintain self-identification and parent consent forms (1701s) to ensure compliance.
- Report services provided to students to the Aboriginal Leadership Team for purpose of program enhancement and compliance.
- Travel to various school district and community sites to provide Aboriginal Program Services and attend meetings.
- Plan and participate in District Aboriginal Program events and initiatives such as family gatherings, Aboriginal Achievement Awards, transition conferences, cultural ceremonies.
- Create and submit proposals for grants from the Aboriginal Program for school initiatives for approval by ya:yestel’ (Aboriginal Advisory Committee) as required.
- Supervise students when and where required by the Aboriginal Program.
- Operate equipment as required.
- Perform other assigned comparable duties which are within the scope of knowledge, skills and abilities required by this class specification.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Grade 12 graduation and completion of a two-year post-secondary program in Aboriginal studies or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two to three years related experience working with Aboriginal people, including involvement with Aboriginal culture and traditions.
- Thorough understanding of Canadian history and education of Aboriginal people.
- Working knowledge of computers.
- Ability to be flexible to meet the varying academic, social, emotional, behavioral and cultural needs of studnets.
- Ability to determine, judge and select appropriate course of action within established methods and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively using tact, discretion and diplomacy in contacts of a difficult or specialized nature.
- Physical ability of perform the required duties.
- Consistent with the British Columbia Human Rights Code, Aboriginal Ancestry is a bona-fide requirement for this position.
Rate of pay: $28.70 per hour plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Please include the following documents in your application:
- Cover letter
- Résumé including names and email addresses of 3 professional references
- Proof of completion of grade 12 plus certificate of completion of post-secondary program in Aboriginal Education
Note that we accept electronic applications only. We are unable to respond to follow-up phone calls or emails.
For more information on this position and detailed instructions on how to apply, please visit: https://bit.ly/3nQqeXL
Successful applicant will be subject to a criminal records check.
We wish to thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Education and Training